Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Not Back to School Bloghop-School Spaces

Once again, I have a few observations from the bloghop:
  1. Homeschoolers love books
  2. We love bookshelves (IKEA is popular with homescholars)
  3. Bloghoppers like to be organized; some clean for pictures and some don't, but even the don't clean before photos don't look too bad
  4. Homeschoolers like to school all over the house and outside
  5. Lots of us wish we had a dedicated schoolroom
  6. Everyone is doing a great job not complaining about their spaces.
  7. Some with dedicated school rooms don't use them!
  8. The most practical dedicated school rooms are in a central location, usually close to the kitchen
  9. I am attracted to the colorful, well-organized school room
  10. There are very few pictures of moms!

I just posted recently about reorganizing my space, so some of this is a repeat.

Bookshelf/storage space

Work area
The table is never really this cleaned off. Piles of papers and schoolbooks migrate from one end to the other depending on whether we are schooling or eating. Also, Elinore schools from the booster, but she's really too big for it, and too small to sit in the chair without one. Any suggestions?


Hannah's space
Hannah's proposed schedule

Hannah does not actually school much at her desk, it's more for organizing, apparently. I don't mind if she works at the table with me and Elinore, but Elinore messes with her work. With markers. And glue stick. And scissors. Ad nauseum.

I am not one of those moms who like to have school all over the house and outdoors. Our neighborhood is not too safe, not even the backyard. Once I found a stranger in my backyard looking for something he "lost." Turned out to be a gun he used to commit a crime. Threw it when he was being chased down the alley by police. It was in my next-door-neighbor's yard.  'Nuff said.

I don't mind free reading on the couch, but I don't like other subjects there. Calvert seventh is all about learning to take notes. Just about every subject includes note-taking in one form or another. I don't think you can juggle a text and your notebook and use your best handwriting. Hannah has to use her best handwriting because her less-than-best tends toward illegible.

So, if  you like to peak into other schoolrooms, you should check out the bloghop at Heart of the Matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment